Monday, March 30, 2009

The Master Craftsman...

So there's this thing about the old testament. It's pretty awesome and you can learn a lot from it, but some parts of it kind of drag on and on. For example, it seems like the HUGE majority of Exodus is just God describing in excruciating detail how Moses and friends need to build the temple and the altar and everything else. I mean, really, it's pretty intense.

In my attempt to actually learn the Old Testament, I forced myself to pay attention during those sections. It was not easy, but darn it, I did it. And in that, I found a GEM of a hidden little Bible verse...passage.

In Exodus 31, the first few verses, God let's Moses know that what he is suggesting is not impossible. He wants Moses to know that while He is making seemingly ridiculous requests of extreme detail, that He is not asking Moses to understand and accomplish the task at hand on His own. God says, 'Check it, Moses, I already gave you people in your community who have the skills necessary to accomplish these tasks.' Not only did God have a master craftsman skilled for the job available, but an assistant who was also skilled.

This passage has really been on my heart lately. Not only because it reminds me that God doesn't ask me to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks on my own, but it also reminds me that if God took the time to put a master craftsman right exactly in the place he needed to be with exactly the skills he needed to have...then God can probably do the same for me and with me.

Preach it!

4 comments:

jamie said...

Isn't it awesome how God's word can just come alive - things you've glazed over before just jump off the page and passages you've read a million times can speak to your heart like it's the first time!

Love you! Keep digging :)

Kristi M said...

I've been loving exodus as of late. God is cool. He never tells us to do things that our beyond our reach.... And He doesn't even ask us to understand..... just to obey, and when we do... watch out..... it's just getting around to the doing that can be troublesome.

Stephanie said...

did he really say check it? i think that's the best part ;)

Casey said...

yes, He actually said "check it" :)